Deaths/Mortality in the US in 2004
- Number of deaths: 2,398,343
- Death rate: 816.7 deaths per 100,000 population
- Life expectancy: 77.9 years
Number of deaths for leading causes of death
- Heart disease: 654,092
- Cancer: 550,270
- Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,147
- Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 123,884
- Accidents (unintentional injuries): 108,694
- Diabetes: 72,815
- Alzheimer’s disease: 65,829
- Influenza/Pneumonia: 61,472
- Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 42,762
- Septicemia: 33,464
I currently fall in the 45-54 group, myself, but of course my family, friends, and acquaintances occupy all the different slots of the above chart.
And of course, none of them are really reducible to mere numbers.
I own a black suit. I probably shouldn’t get rid of it anytime soon.